Differences in Experiences
Even though the same thing may happen to different people, their responses will be different. We can all go through the same exact thing but get different experiences from it. Our backgrounds and how we were raised play a part in who we are and how we react to things. Just like in Maus, every Jew that went through the concentration camp and came out alive had a different experience afterwards. Vladek, for example, became an extremely frugal money hoarder. On page 133, Mala tells Art that of all their friends that went through the Holocaust, no one is like Vladek. This just goes to prove that they all cope with situations like this in a different way. When my sister and I were younger, we moved around a lot, and every time we got to a new school we each had different reactions. I usually adapted fairly quick, adapting to the different cultures and customs with ease. It took a few months longer for my sister to do the same. She would come home everyday after school and complain about everything including the school, the people, the teachers and the bus. She missed her old friends too much to go out and socialize with potential new ones. After a while, she got used to it and started to fit in in her own way. Since we had never lived in America before this, our experience of moving to Michigan might be different from someone moving from Arkansas. In the end, we are all different and experience things in our own unique ways. No two people will ever have identical experiences to each other.
I really like the use of your own story in the blog. That you know that people have different views because of the experiences you and your sister went through. Also, the photo of the two people seeing different amounts of bricks supplemented you post very well.
ReplyDeleteThe picture you included was very relevant to your topic. It was as if the people on both ends were seeing the sticks(?) from different perspectives.
ReplyDeleteDifferent experiences yield different approaches in life. I feel like I am more careless than my parents because Troy has never given me the same sense of danger that my parents went through living in a high-crime environment in the past.
I really like how the picture tied in with your main point. It is very interesting to think about the different reactions to similar situations.
ReplyDeleteISABELLA! I loved how you talked about your family history with your frequent moves and adapted that to Maus.
ReplyDelete