Censorship


Censorship is a big topic that has been around for a while. On one hand, it can help protect people
and keep them safe from things that are bad. On the other hand, do we really want the government
to control and filter everything we see and hear? According to the Oxford dictionary, the meaning of
freedom is “the power or right to act, speak or think as one wants.” If we think of it on these terms,
technically censorship infringes on our basic rights of freedom. What would the point of having free
speech be if your opinion was just blocked. In “The History Teacher,” we grazed lightly upon the subject.
The teacher wasn’t just keeping information from these children, he was lying to them. “The children
would leave his classroom for the playground and torment the weak and the smart, mussing up their
hair and breaking their glasses (Collins 13-15).” This quote shows what happened after teacher
shielded the students from horrors that happened in the past to try and protect their innocence. As
soon as they stepped foot outside the classroom they start picking on each other and in doing so
performed acts that are in no way innocent. This shows how uneffective keeping information in terms
of learning is. I feel like in order to learn, you must be exposed to the whole truth. Without taking all the
parts of something into consideration, the conclusion you come to will be flawed. I think the only time
one should really lie is during small situations to spare the feelings of another.

Image result for censorship is

Comments

  1. Hi Isabella, I agree with your thoughts. It is true that we should know the whole truth in order learn from our past mistakes. Otherwise, it just becomes a vicious circle of lying and mistakes. Also in the end your conclusions will be biased. I thought it was interesting how you tied in censorship into the post. It is true that the government censors some information, but I think it works effectively. If there wasn't anything censored, the internet would be a very different place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isabella! I really liked your post about censorship as I agree with a lot of your thoughts. I like how you tied in a definition from Oxford to further your ethos and evidence. I wonder though, does the world even want the entire truth? Would it end up too ugly for the world to face?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^I love how you related censorship with the poem and addressed the effects and issues concerning censorship. I also liked how in your first few sentences you address the opposing side and later disproved their stance. The pic is very clever and ironic :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts